Skip to main content
Full Library Hours
Import References from PubMed
- Conduct a search in PubMed.
- Check box next to citation of interest (or leave all blank for transfer of entire set).
- Click Send to Citation Manager then "Create File". Be sure the Number to send is greater than or equal to the total number of citaions you want to export. If you have more than 200, you will have to export in sets.
- A file called citations.nbib will be created for you to save onto your computer.
In EndNote Web:
- Cursor over the Collect tab and select the Import References link.
- In the Imported References window, click on the Choose File button and select the downloaded file (citations.nbib).
- Choose the Import Filter called PubMed (NLM) from the Import Option drop-down menu.
- Choose a location for the references from the "To:" drop-down menu.
- Click Import
Please note that PubMed provides ABBREVIATED journal titles. If you use APA citation style, which requires the full journal name, you will need to open EACH reference from PubMed and fill in the full journal title.
Import References from EBSCOhost Databases
The following instructions will work for EBSCOhost databases including CINAHL Plus, ERIC, SocINDEX, SPORTDiscus, Academic Search Premier, and more.
Direct Export Method
- Select reference(s) by clicking on the Add to folder link or click on Alert/Save/Share link to place several citations into your folder.
- After items have been sent to your folder, access your folder by clicking on the Folder link atop the page.
- Within the Folder, check the box next to Select / deselect all or check the box next to each reference and choose Export (right side column).
- Select Direct Export to EndNote Web then hit the Save button.
- If you are logged into EndNote Web, the import will occur automatically; if not, the EndNote Web login screen will appear. Log in and you'll find your citations in the Unfiled group.
Import References from PsychINFO
- Conduct a search in PsychINFO
- Check the box next to the citation(s) you want to export"
- Click on the Save button (upper right side of screen)
- Click on RIS (works with EndNote, Citavi, etc.)
- Click on the Continue button (bottom of this screen)
- A file will be saved in your downloads folder to import
In EndNote Web:
- Go to the Collect tab and select Import References link
- Browse for the File (it's in your Downloads folder)
- For the Import Option go to the Select Favorites link and select RefMan RIS and click copy to favorites (this will now be saved to your short list
- Then in the To selection choose the Group you want the references in
- Click Import and your references will be added
Import References from Web of Science Databases
In a Web of Science database:
Select reference(s) (click on the checkbox). You can selected multiple references at one time by scrolling to the bottom of the page using the Output Records box.
Select the ENDNOTE WEB button
Log into your EndNote Web account and the reference(s) should appear in your [Unfiled] group.
Import References from Google Scholar
You will need to configure Google Scholar to save references in a format EndNote Web can import.
Follow these steps to configure Google Scholar to send references to EndNote Web:
- Go to the Google Scholar home page at http://scholar.google.com/
- Click Settings in the upper right-hand corner.
- Under Bibliography Manager select the option Show links to import citations into and choose RefMan in the drop down box.
- Click on Save.
Follow these steps to import search results into EndNote Web:
- After performing a Google Scholar search, click on the Import into RefMan link for the reference you want to import. You can only import a single references at a time.
- If you are presented with a window asking if you want to open or save the file, choose to save the file.
- In EndNote Web, place cursor over the Collect tab and select the Import References link.
- In the Import References window, click on the Choose File button and select the downloaded file (scholar.RIS).
- Choose the Import filter called RefMan (RIS) from the Import Option drop-down menu.
- Choose a location to place the reference from the "To:" drop-down menu.
- Click Import.
Creating a New Reference
To add a new reference:
- Click on New Reference under the Collect tab
- Choose the appropriate Reference Type using the drop down menu
- Fill out the field as required
- You can place your reference into a group by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking on the arrow beside Groups:
- Your reference will be saved automatically
To edit a reference:
- Click on the reference title
- Click on the field you wish to edit and make your changes
- To save the changes click or tab outside that field
- You can revert your changes by clicking the Revert Reference button.
The Capture button will appear in the EndNote Web browser toolbar once the EndNote Web Plug-in has been installed (to install the Plug-in, click on Download Installers under the Options tab and follow the instructions).
Capture will scan the bibliographic information stored on a web page and creates a pre-filled reference.
- Go to the individual record after conducting your search
- Click on Capture button.
- Complete or modify the fields in the new reference window.
- Click on the Save to button